Thursday, June 18, 2009

MMORPG's and Philosophy Blogs

I’ve noticed attempts to kill other people’s version of reality in many postings on philosophy blogs and it is disturbing. I see disturbing similarities with MMORPG’s (massive multiplayer online role playing games), philosophers/players going online and challenging other people and probably thinking that they are helping correct delusions or ignorance, confronting their opponents in intellectual combat much like individual combat in MMORPG’s, the winner gets personal gratification and stature within the group. Looking back, some of my very own postings could probably be construed as doing so and it makes me very uneasy, I apologize. As a result I will think twice from now on before posting to blogs and will seek other ways of stating my truths in a non-confrontational manner. I believe in living a life holy of merit and to be at peace with all people, I respect all people’s beliefs. They can believe what they will about what I’ve just written. 

One of the biggest causes of conflict is not looking for the meaning of another’s words but stealing someone else’s words, assigning your own meaning to them and throwing back in their face. I’ve seen this many times on philosophy group walls, and it sickens me. A wise man and a good philosopher seeks understanding of others first then builds on that understanding by offering or adding another viewpoint, not correcting or challenging the first meaning.